For this paper you should do the following things:
- Pick an issue or topic related in some way to anything we’ve talked about so far in class, especially something you don’t feel is covered sufficiently by mainstream media. I strongly encourage you to go through the blog so far and look at the class’s posts for ideas.
- Explore through extensive research how this topic is covered through both mainstream and non-mainstream convergent media, making sure to thoroughly cover as many of the media forms as possible, i.e., print, audio, video, digital, and as many combinations thereof you can find.
- Draw some conclusions about media coverage of your topic, especially in the realm of class discussions and readings. Can it only be represented by divergent voices? Do you see it as part of the mainstream?
- Document all of your sources, including all links, in MLA format.
- Turn in your final draft in Print (paper) form, but have a digital copy prepared for possible archiving (I’ll explain this further in class).
This assignment should be approximately 14-16 double-spaced pages, or 3,500-4,000 words.
Monday, 3/24 – Have your research topic approved by me
Thursday, 3/28 – Have a working bibliography prepared for class
Thursday, 4/10 & 4/17 – In-class presentation and discussion of your work so far – you should be well into writing your paper by this time
Thursday, 5/1 – PAPERS DUE